About Michael Carter
Partner - Head of Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Mike has been in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution department of Salehs since 2011, dealing mainly with high-value and/or complex disputes.
Prior to qualifying as a Solicitor, Mike held a number of senior commercial roles in his 20 year career in shipping and logistics for multi-national organisations and OMBs dealing with many well-known national and international brands.
Mike’s commercial experience is used constantly to seek a pragmatic and commercial resolution including advising clients prior to issues arising in the first place.
Recent instructions include:
• A number of building disputes (commercial and domestic) of varying value and complexity;
• Housing development disputes;
• Defence of a TUPE claim in the Employment Tribunal;
• Full recovery of a six figure salary underpayment plus costs and interest;
• Nuisance neighbour disputes including injunctive applications;
• Acting on behalf of insolvency practitioners to pursue sums on behalf of joint trustees;
• Mandatory business rates relief claims on behalf of charity;
• Inheritance Act claim;
• Defence of high value guarantee claim;
• Banking litigation;
Mike is a keen runner at half marathon and full marathon distances, also enjoying golf and preferably long walks in the Lake District or North Wales.
Specialisms/Area of Expertise
• Contract Disputes – breach of contract; retention of title and asset claims; warehousing, distribution and goods in transit disputes; breach of warranty; sale of goods and services
• Enforcement – injunctions; charging orders; orders for sale;
• Banking litigation;
• Claims by secured lenders;
• Property/landlord and tenant disputes; forfeiture; possession; dilapidations; right of way; adverse possession; trespass to land;
• Insolvency – corporate and personal; wrongful trading; misfeasance claims;
• Intellectual Property – trademark Infringement and passing off claims;
• Employment – TUPE; settlement agreements; claims against ex-employees and company director disqualifications;
• Inheritance claims;
• Professional negligence claims;
• Construction litigation;
• High value debt recovery and guarantee claims;
• Drafting commercial contracts.
Mike was fantastic, I spent a long time with Range Rover negotiating with people and I don’t think I had a clearer, more succinct phone call in my life. It was like I was in a classroom and everything was on a blackboard. He’s definitely got a gift that fella. It was just, wow, I've got it.
Just a quick note to let you know that your level headed advice on the Franchise Dispute has been a great help and we are now going back to the table to renegotiate the situation.
Many thanks for your time and I shall not hesitate to recommend and use you in the future.
Please allow me to thank you sincerely for your speed and attention here. This along with the multitude of many other business challenges I face on a daily basis could have potentially caused me a significant “headache”. Instead, your approach has been thorough and refreshing. It has been pleasure to deal with you and your firm. I would have absolutely no hesitation in “highly recommending” you.”
Mr B -Regional Sales Manager